William August Goetze
Class of 2008
William was born in Baltimore, MD, on April 7, 1863. He graduated from the Maryland Institute of Art in 1884 and worked as a printing plate engraver for the Baumgarten Co.
Furthering his education, he graduated from the Baltimore Business College, and in 1885 William went into the art business for himself.
Initially dealing in oil and pastel work, he added printing and engraving to his business two years later.
He entered the confectionery industry after doing print work for the Baltimore Chewing Gum Co., eventually purchasing the company in 1895.
However, later facing increasing competition from larger chewing gum manufacturers purchasing chicle plantations and controlling the cost of necessary ingredients, William developed the now-famous Caramel Cream with his son, R. Melvin Goetze Sr., in 1917.
Reacting to increasing demand for Caramel Creams, William moved the company in 1928 to a new 24,000-square-foot location in Baltimore. The company still operates out of the same location today, but now with more than 175,000 square feet.
William remained the president and sole owner of the Baltimore Chewing Gum Co. till his death in 1934, and it remains in the Goetze family to this day.
The company ended production of its chewing gum products during the late 1940s. In 1958, R. Melvin Goetze Jr., William’s grandson, incorporated the company as Goetze’s Candy Co., Inc.
From its beginnings as a small gum manufacturer in Baltimore, the company’s products now reach Asia, Europe and Australia.
Inducted this year as an industry pioneer, William now joins his grandson R. Melvin Goetze Jr. and great-grandson Spaulding Goetze in the Candy Hall of Fame.